Sunday, January 2, 2011

Caramelized Pear Gingerbread Cake

I hope everyone had a great holiday season! Mine was super fun and busy - the in-laws came to visit us and we had a blast! It was our first Christmas ever at our new home and the first time Hubby and I had our very own Christmas tree. It was very special to have everyone come together- both my family and Hubby's. It always smelled like something delicious and it was so festive to have a warm, full, and noisy house! We were so proud to be the ones hosting Christmas this year, especially since, at age 25, we still feel like kids when our parents are around. We are so blessed.


I hope everyone had an equally festive and joyous holiday season!


I made this awesome cake over the holidays and it was a hit! It's an upside down gingerbread cake - you bake it with a gooey topping on the bottom and then flip it. The topping consists of caramelize pear and walnuts. It sounds like a weird combo, but it works! And it's sooo delicious!

Ok, so it's not exactly a looker. It was difficult to get some pretty photos of this cake, so you'll just have to take my word for it that it's a spectacular dessert! Well, on the plus side, at least I won't have to worry about someone stealing my photos from this post, right? tee hee.


You'll need to peel & dice up some ripe pears.


Next, cream together butter and brown sugar until it's crumbly. Press it into the bottom of the pan and half way up the sides.


The recipe said to sprinkle walnuts over the brown sugar crumble. I used pecans. =)


Then top with the diced pears. Set aside.


Next, in a separate bowl, combine the dry ingredients. This recipe has all the yummy & warm holiday spices: ginger, nutmeg, cinnamon, and cloves! Delish!



In another bowl, combine the wet ingredients: eggs, milk, brown sugar, then add the molasses. I love the way it drizzles!


It looks so pretty in the bowl!


Blend and mix well with the dry ingredients.




Pour the batter over the pears. Bake at 350 degrees.


When it comes out, put a plate over the pan and flip it. You'll get this awesome gooey topping over the gingerbread cake! Serve warm and with fresh whipped cream. Mmm...heavenly!


It was suuuuper delicious! The caramelized pear, with the crunch of the pecans were a perfect combination with the gingerbread cake. At first, I was worried that the cake would be too sweet - but it wasn't! It was delicious & moist...and before you knew it, you'd be finishing a giant slice!

This cake is sooo good that it should be served all year round, not just during the holiday season. Really, why don't we serve gingerbread all year round?? It's such a great flavor and shouldn't be reserved for just the last couple of months during the year! I want to start a new movement: gingerbread consumption on a regular basis! =)


CLICK HERE for the printable version of the recipe.

8 comments:

  1. Happy New Year Judy! Your cake looks awesome, pears and gingerbread are a delicious combo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy New Year Judy! Great to see you back blogging. Wishing you and hubby a wonderful year ahead in your new home. This cake is going on my "Must Do" list!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy New Year, Judy! This cake looks freakin' awesome. Love all the gooey caramel and pear. Just want to grab a slice out of the screen :).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy New Year Judy!

    This cake looks fantastic! I adore upside down cakes so I may have to try it soon!~

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy New Year!

    ...and, while I'm a few posts late in saying it, welcome back to the blogosphere! :)

    This cake is wonderfully delicious, but you're right: it's difficult to get an attractive photo of it, haha. I made it back March after a friend gave me Jill O'Connor's book but did a terrible job documenting it. Good job on some great photos - you did the cake justice!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm making a gingerbread later for some lamingtons, but without the pear and nuts. That sounds nice though!

    Will you be making lamingtons for my contest this year? :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Judy, this cake is really lovely. I am new to your blog and have spent some time browsing through some of your earlier post. I really like the food and recipes you feature here and I'll be back often. This is a pleasant place to visit. I hope you have a wonderful day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  8. I tried this an had some trouble. The recipe says 6 tbsp molasses but it was SO strong! I ended up throwing most of it out. Is it supposed to be 6 tsp?

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails