Sunday, March 21, 2010

Sugar Cookie Flowers...um, Cupcakes

Wow, the title of this blog post was hard to come up with! hehe. I didn't know whether to call them cookies or cupcakes because...well, see for yourself. =)


Here are the cupcakes...


Here are the decorated sugar cookies...


And these beauties are the finished product!

See what I mean? I promise the next post will have a less confusing title. hehe. Anyway, I thought these cookies/cupcakes would be a good way to celebrate Spring! It's officially here! Although, I'd have to say that I've been quite confused about time-of-year since arriving in SoCal last week. The temperature has been around 80-85 degrees F this whole time! It makes me feel like we should really be celebrating summer! I have to keep reminding myself that it's only March. =)

Anyway, more about these cookies/cupcakes...I saw them in Martha Stewart's Cupcake book last month and knew that I had to make them. The cuteness was irresistible. I have a major weakness for aesthetically pleasing food.


And since the cupcake-shaped Sugar Cookie Pops I made last month turned out to be such a big hit, I knew these would be awesome!


(1) The Sugar Cookie Pops


I'm not going to go into a lot of detail on how to make these because I already featured them in the cupcake-shaped pops entry. You can reference it for tips and step by step photos.

Just make sure your flower cookie cutter isn't too big. Something around 2-3 inches in diameter would be perfect. And get the 6 inch lollipop sticks.

Here are some additional helpful links that I mentioned in my previous post:

Click HERE for Our Best Bites' Sugar Cookie Decorating Tutorial
Click HERE for Our Best Bites' Sugar Cookie Pops Tutorial
Click HERE for Our Best Bites' Basic Sugar Cookie Recipe


Decorating these was really fun! I picked out three colors: white, pink, and yellow. Perfect shades for spring!


I outlined them in white and used yellow for the centers.


Then I very carefully filled in the pink petals.


Allow the icing to dry. Let the cookies sit uncovered for about 24 hours.


(2) The Leafs


These were really easy to do. All you need is some gum paste, a small leaf-shaped cookie cutter, and green food coloring.


Color your gum paste and roll it out. If your gum paste it too sticky, you can use corn starch to dust the surface of your work area.


And there you have it! Easy peasy.


I like to stick the leafs on right away, before they have a chance to harden. When it's soft, you can bend it slightly in the middle to mimic a real leaf. But I'm getting ahead of myself here...

(3) The Cupcakes



Use your favorite cupcake recipe. Chocolate cupcakes would be awesome too! In retrospect, chocolate probably would've been better, huh? hehe. Oh, well. Maybe next time. And use whatever frosting you like! What about cute liners? Maybe green polka-dotted ones! My point is: you can get super creative with these! Go wild!

For the frosting, I used Wilton's grass tip. Here's a good tutorial on how to pipe it. I thought it was going to be way hard, but it actually turned out to be quite intuitive! You'll know what to do when the time comes. hehe. I didn't like for the grass to be super uniformed. So instead of pulling straight up, I pulled every which way, to make it look more real. Because grass never just grows straight up, you know? It's more like "artistically messy," I'd say.


(3) Putting it all together


No explanation needed, really. Stick the cookies in the middle of the cupcakes, then add leafs. Some of them had one, some had two. I'm very unpredictable like that.


Wouldn't these be cute for a baby shower?


Ok, and here's one more picture. Because I couldn't resist. =)


Happy Spring and Happy Baking!

19 comments:

  1. Those are so cute and perfect for spring!! Love the gumpaste leaves and you reminded me that I need to buy a grass tip. :) Oh and I am definitely going to try that glacé icing recipe - I am just not a fan of royal icing (cement). Thank you Judy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are an artist! These are really beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Absolutely adorable and a perfectly delicious way to welcome Spring.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Um.... ok. These make anything I've every done look "elementary"! Judy, why on earth aren't you in business? :) And I don't mean Accounting! These are exquisite! I am so impressed with all the elements.... more words just escape me.... :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Super adorable cupcakes! Love, love, the cookie pop flowers!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh. My. Gosh. I want to make these NOW! I may have to find a reason to take cupcakes to my daughter's class. Though, really, does anyone really NEED a reason to make cupcakes?

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is so amazing!! They are so darn adorable that I'm going to repost this on my blog!

    Thanks for sharing these!

    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  8. wow, these are just too awesome for words! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Holy cow Judy, these are amazing!! You are so incredibly creative and talented. Seriously, you need to go into business for yourself. People would be lining up for these beauties :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. These are really pretty, adorable actually. Thanks for posting.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow! I'm doing an event with Spring Time as the theme next week and I'll just have to make these!

    Thanks for the awesome idea.

    Katie xox

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a great way to celebrate Spring! Super cute Judy!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a fantastic and creative idea!!! These are so very pretty and fresh, especially for Spring! Well done, again Judy :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Those are so incredibly adorable! I love them. And you get a cupcake AND a cookie. How wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  15. These are just darling, Judy! You keep inspiring me with new ideas for presenting sweets. Oh and I'm completely jealous of that gorgeous Cali weather =D.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh my goodness, what could be better than the cutest cupcakes topped with the cutest cookies ever??? ADORABLE!!!!

    You are so creative my dear!

    :)
    ButterYum

    ReplyDelete
  17. hi,i want to know how you make the icing cookies.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails