Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Brown Sugar Scrub

I'm well aware of the fact that I'm supposed to be running a food blog here. You know, the kind where people go to find recipes for food - deliciousness to be consumed.

So I apologize in advance to all you Foodies out there. This will be my first non-food post. Well, I suppose you could eat it, if you really wanted to. And I'm sure that it wouldn't be half bad either. I image it would taste a bit like Christmas, or like a really fragrant spice cake.. minus the cake part. lol. Ok enough with my ramblings. I'm sure you're all curious now and wondering about what this non-food recipe could be!

It's a homemade Brown Sugar Scrub! Ta-DA!


Yesterday, I saw this post on Our Best Bites, one of my favorite food blogs. I was SO excited about it that I immediately ran out to the Container Store to get jars! Yes, I did, in fact, drop everything I was doing and had intended on doing that night, just so I could try it.


It's an exfoliating sugar scrub that you can use in the shower. It'll leave your skin super soft and delicious! =) I was excited about the fact that it's made purely from baking ingredients that I already had in my pantry!


Pick out some cute jars!


In a bowl, mix together: brown sugar, white sugar, ginger powder, cloves, and cinnamon! It was so fragrant! Like a really good spice cake.


Gradually stir olive oil into the sugar mixture until you get the right consistency.


Fill up your cute jars and you're done! It was so easy to make!


Then I thought: these would make SUCH cute Christmas presents! So I went about decorating them.


I made cute little card cut-outs that read "love is sweet," along with matching gift tags.


I used mounting tape for the "love is sweet" sign, so that it didn't have to sit flat on the jar. It kinda popped out, which made it cuter! (Is "cuter" a real word? Oh well, it is now!)


On the back of the gift tag, I wrote "Colleen's Brown Sugar Scrub." Because this one's going to my good friend, Colleen! Hope she likes it... and that she doesn't read this blog entry until I've given it to her! =)



For some of them, I wrapped the ribbon around the neck of the jar. I can't decide which ones I like more! =)

This was such a fun and easy project! They turned out beautifully. I really can't wait to give them to my friends. And did I already mention that they smelled delicious? I'm sure it won't hurt if you accidentally ate some.. hehe.



Please click on one of the links below for instructions on how to use and store the product.

You can view the original recipe here, on Our Best Bites.

Click here if you'd like a printable version of the recipe.



6 comments:

  1. I love a good sugar scrub!! I especially like the way your decorated them - adorable!

    :)
    ButterYum

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a timely post - I was going to make a sugar scrub tomorrow :) Your photos are wonderful Judy. I always enjoy stopping by to see what you're up to!

    By the way, I couldn't find the green mint chips at Whole Foods when I went. I will have to continue my search!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks so much for sharing this! You know, I have some of this yummy stuff. I think it's called vanilla brown sugar scrub. My friend gave it to me many years ago (don't pamper myself much that way, I guess). It was one of Oprah's favorites that year! So there ya go! Goood post. I'd love to make some for some gifts too! I would need to stop baking first...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Is it good? I have a bit of a thing for skin care!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a great idea, Judy! I may just have to steal it and make some for my gfs and mom ^_^.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The idea was great... but your presentation would give Martha Stewart and her 30 editors a run for their money.... Great job!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails