Monday, September 14, 2009

Zucchini Spice Cupcakes

It's common knowledge that I adore cupcakes. I love baking them. I love frosting them. I love eating them.


So it probably comes as no surprise that I joined a cupcake blogging/baking club! I first heard about it from my friend, Alyssa. I was super excited by the idea of joining a cupcake club and immediately went to their website to investigate!

It's basically a community of bloggers who agree to try out the same cupcake recipe each month and then blog about it simultaneously on the 15th! All the recipes are chosen by members out of the Martha Stewart Cupcake book. Thrilled by the idea, I emailed the creator, requesting membership. But to my utter dismay, I was wait-listed! So exclusive. Naturally, this made me want to join even more! You know how it is..

But alas! I was given very short notice a week ago and was informed that I finally made it! I had been waiting for about a month and I sure as hell wasn't going to give up my spot...short notice or not! Super excited, I set out to get the book and start on my first cupcake baking challenge!

And then my bubble burst when I saw what was on the menu this month: Zucchini cupcakes. Say what? Suuuuuuuper weird! I guess I've heard of zucchini bread.. but I always thought maybe it was a savory thing, one that goes with dinner or something. Obviously, I had never been intrigued enough by zucchini to try it! But I didn't want to lose my highly coveted membership, so I reluctantly dragged myself to the grocery store for the ingredients.


Main ingredient: Zucchini. Obviously.


It's kinda pretty when it's shredded.


The dry ingredients called for a variety of spices: cinnamon, nutmeg, and cloves. The mixture was super fragrant and totally brightened up the room! Maybe there's hope yet!


The wet ingredients included vanilla, lemon zest, walnuts, brown sugar. Ok, perhaps I was too quick to judge..



They turned out beautifully, with tiny specks of green in the cupcake!


The recipe called for Martha's cream cheese frosting, but I used one that I found on my own. I added less sugar than it called for and 1/2 teaspoon of lemon juice! It was delicious!


Then I topped them with some walnuts for added cuteness!


We brought them to a Sunday afternoon BBQ and they were a hit! Everyone loved them! Me and hubby included. My friend Colleen said that they tasted like Christmas. And that was the perfect description. I can't think of a better way to say it! All the spices in it made it super fragrant and delicious. Colleen's hubby said that it reminded him of carrot cake, but with zucchinis. lol! Boys are so funny with their words sometimes, but he was absolutely right!

That will teach me to judge a recipe by its name! =)


Please click HERE for the recipe.


30 comments:

  1. Your cupcakes look so perfect with that swirl. My frosting - unfortunately did not set so I just slathered it on and hoped for the best.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! I love them! Great job, they turned out beautifully. I'm glad you ended up enjoying them. Where I come from zucchini bread and zucchini in general is everywhere in the summer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These look so pretty. I like the pecan on top. I thought the same thing at first - that zucchini cupcakes were weird, but they were good.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful pictures! These seem to really have been a hit for everyone who has made them and shared.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad that you got to join the club. Great pictures! Yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, your cupcakes look AMAZING! Great work on the frosting there.. They were very carrot cake-y cupcakes :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cute pics Judy!! Glad we both finally got in this group together and around the same time!

    ReplyDelete
  8. These look great. I love the frosting. Glad they were a hit at the BBQ.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, what a great job you did with the cupcakes! They look so gorgeous, and I love the added touch of the pecan on top, so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks so much for baking along with me this month Judy!! We're happy to have you in the group! I'm so glad these were a hit for you despite your initial skepticism. Your photos are amazing - great job!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great job on these!! Yours look delicious! I love how your frosting looks and I also love those cupcake papers!!! so glad you enjoyed them too!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful frosting. Glad you got your membership. You proved you are certainly worthy with those beauties.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful pictures!!! I think I am going to get piping!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love all your photos! I was skeptical also of zucchini in a cake, but we all enjoyed it. Lemon in cream cheese frosting sounds really great...going with that the very next time! Thanks for the idea.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I baked these as well this month , your turned out great! love the walnut garnish it adds a cute touch.

    Happpy Bkaing
    Julieecakes

    ReplyDelete
  16. I baked these as well this month , your turned out great! love the walnut garnish it adds a cute touch.

    Happpy Bkaing
    Julieecakes

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your cupcakes look beautiful... and the nuts decorating the tops was an awesome idea! Glad you liked them afterall!

    ReplyDelete
  18. The cupcakes look great! I'm glad you enjoyed them. Your frosting looks yummy and lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love the zucchini shredder - my shredder leaves such big pieces!

    These were great - and that frosting is just gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  20. These look delicious! I've made zucchini bread, but never cupcakes. I would love to try out this recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Those are beautiful. Aren't you glad you made them now.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Your cuppies look stunning!! what beautiful piping & I love the nut topping, so simple and sweet! x

    ReplyDelete
  23. Lovely cupcakes, especially decorated with the walnut. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  24. What a fun recipe--great way to eat a veggie don't ya think? I will have to try your frosting recipe--your ridges are a bit more defined than mine. Always after the perfect frosting recipe. Looks good, tastes good and is fun to decorate with! Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  25. WOW! Your cupcakes look fantastic! The pecans on top definetly give it some added cuteness, not that they need it:)

    ReplyDelete
  26. I love your blog! Great post!

    Mine looked and tasted like muffins, so I wasn't the biggest fan.

    Thanks for baking along with us this month. Glad it was such a great hit too!

    Looking forward to your future cupcake creations!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Wow - those are amazing... the topped nuts are perfect. You should be very proud of those - they are so professional looking. Love your liners too! Nicely done!

    ReplyDelete
  28. I LOOOVE zucchini muffins, and come to think of it, I have a couple lying around. I'll definitely try these!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Welcome to this exclusive little cupcake club! (Makes us feel important, doesn't it!) ;) I really love your photographs, and that swirly frosting is sensational.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails