Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Soft and Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies

For some reason, cookies don't appeal to me. I don't ever bake them, I hardly ever eat them. And I've never felt compelled to seek out cookie recipes to try.


I can't pinpoint the exact reason why, but here are a few contributing factors: (1) They're super easy to make. You just toss everything in a bowl and call it good. I think the simplicity of the recipes bore me. (2) They're not my favorite dessert to eat. I don't ever think of a cookie when I order dessert or crave something sweet. (3) They don't make for very interesting photo subjects. They're just not as pretty of a final product as, say.. cupcakes. lol.

For obvious reasons, the most highly coveted cookbook in my house is the Martha Stewart Cupcake book. I've read every single page of the book about three times. The corners are worn, and you can tell it's received a lot of love!

So why did I recently purchase the Martha Stewart Cookie book?


Because, unfortunately, Hubby and I don't seem to be compatible Foodies! I know, it's tragic, isn't it? To call him "Cookie Monster" would be an understatement. The boy can eat cookies all day, every day.

For a while now, he's been buzzing in my ear about chocolate chip cookies being his favorite (I think he was trying to hint at something). Not just any cookie, but the soft and chewy ones that have a bit of bite to them. Apparently, it's an extra bonus if they're slightly crispy on the edges too. (He's a bit of a diva when it comes to cookies.)

After months of ignoring his requests for cookies, I finally caved and set out to find him an awesome cookie recipe. Since the cupcake book proved to be such a good authority on cupcake matters, I figured that going with the cookie book would be a safe bet! Besides, you really can't go wrong with Martha!



With an electric mixer, beat white sugar, brown sugar, and butter until light and fluffy.


Add in salt, vanilla, and eggs. Beat until smooth.


Combine with dry ingredients. Stir in chocolate chips.



The instructions say to drop them on a cookie sheet about 2 inches apart, but for my own purposes (you'll see in a minute why I did this), I squeezed about 15 on my cookie sheet, so that they sat super close to one another. Bake at 350 degrees for 10-12 minutes.


When they came out of the oven, I allowed them to cool for a about an hour, and then I took a cookie cutter to them! Yup! This worked perfectly, since I dropped them so close together. They ran into each other and formed a giant sheet of cookie!

I did this because I wanted to display them in my new tiiiiny little glass "cookie/cupcake" dome!! =)


Remember how I was complaining earlier that there wasn't a nice way to present cookies in a photo? Well, this was my way of turning them into an interesting photo subject! lol. I saw these little domes at Sur la Table and knew instantly that I had to have them! They come in all different sizes too! I'm going to bring them out for the next party I host. They'll be SO cute in a dessert spread! =)


I used a slightly smaller cookie cutter for the cookies on top, so that it can taper off and fit into the dome shape perfectly with the lid on! So cute! The little dome is only 3 inches by 7 inches, so you'll have a stack of perfectly sized cookies, a little less than three inches in diameter.


Ta-DA! Isn't it SO cute with the lid on?


Ok about the cookies...I gotta say: I LOVED THEM. Isn't that insane? I knew that Martha wouldn't fail me! They were SO delicious, and I don't even like cookies, remember?

They really were soft and sooo chewy! They even stayed soft the next day, after we brought them out of the fridge. And the edges were crispy! We had a rather large circumference of crispy cookie around the edge of the pan! Hubby was in cookie heaven and mumbled something about me being the best wifey ever, through mouthfuls of cookie. hehe. I can't believe I didn't get the cookie book sooner!

If you love cookies... or even if you don't like cookies, you must give these a try! =)


P.S. Stay tuned to see what cupcakes look like in my new cookie/cupcake dome! So irresistibly cute!



Soft and Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies
Martha Stewart's Cookies

Click HERE for the recipe.



6 comments:

  1. You can always turn those little small things into something that looks "I-wish-I-could-do-that-too"!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww... that little dome is the cutest thing I've seen in a long, long time!!! Love the way you displayed the cookies, and great save to use a cutter to salvage the cookies that spread too much.

    Really cute post!

    :)
    ButterYum

    ReplyDelete
  3. PS - silicone lined baking sheets are wonderful for baking cookies. The silicone has insulating qualities that help prevent cookies from over baking or spreading too far. Also, always put cookie dough on a cool cookie sheet.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just found your blog and I added you to my blogroll. :) Great blog you have here!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Another awesome chocolate chip recipe that everyone raves about is at www.letsbakecookies.com under Karen's Favorite Recipes. It's called Beth's Chocolate Chip Cookies. It's nice and soft in the middle with a tender crispness on the outside. To die for!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you everyone for your lovely comments! =)

    Bakermom, thanks for the recipe! I will for sure give it a try next time Hubby wants cookies...which is like every other minute. hehe.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails