Thursday, August 27, 2009

Chicken Pot Pie



A while ago, I talked about splurging on a $50 Emile Henry pie dish. I didn't get what all the hype was about and had to see for myself. Utterly amazed by its magical pie baking qualities, I was instantly won over by Emile Henry's line of bake ware. I mean, c'mon, if you had a magical pie dish that gave you a perfectly even & golden bottom crust every single time, wouldn't you splurge for one too?? A domestic goddess wouldn't be caught dead without one of these in her kitchen...or five, in my case.


My large dish was such a hit that I couldn't resist when I saw these individual 5 inch ones! They're just so beautiful. I saw them and thought: this would be an awesome way to serve individual chicken pot pies!

I love pies. I love to bake them, I love to eat them. But I've only ever made fruit pies and have always wanted to find a good chicken pot pie recipe. I was browsing the internet for one when I stumbled upon this- a recipe that got rated 5 stars by 2,140 reviewers! I need to try this recipe immediately to see what all of these people were raving about. (Please see below for modified recipe.)

Start by using this crust recipe that I swear by. Trust me, it's the best and the only one you'll ever need. I didn't lay out the steps of making the pie dough in this blog entry because I've already featured it before in a Blueberry Pie posting. Please refer to it to see how the crust was made. One thing that I did differently, though, is to divide the pie dough into 8 pieces (instead of two) before putting it into the fridge (four top crusts, and four bottom ones).



Start the filling by chopping up chicken, carrots, celery, and carrots. Add peas.


Boil the chicken and veggies in chicken stock. The original recipe said to boil all of it at once for 15 minutes, which is what I did. However, I found some of the chicken pieces to be a bit tough and chewy, so I modified the recipe slightly. Boil the veggies first, then put the chicken in at the last minute. Keep an eye on it. Remove from heat and drain as soon as the chicken turns white.


Now make the sauce. It's basically sauteed onions, with seasoning, milk, and chicken stock. Super quick and easy to make.


Roll out the bottom crusts, press them into the mini pie plates, and brush with egg whites. This makes it so that the crust doesn't turn soggy from the filling.


First, scoop your chicken and veggie mixture into the pies.


Cover the chicken and veggies with sauce. Make sure to spoon in a generous amount, and that it seeps all the way to the bottom. You don't want your pie to come out dry.


Put the top pie crust on.


Make slits to allow steam to escape.


Bake at 375 degrees for 30-35 minutes, until golden brown.


They turned out really well! It was delicious! Although, I have a suspicion that they turned out great because I had to modify the recipe quite a bit from the original. lol. So I'm not entirely sure if the recipe ratings were accurate. Anyway, most importantly, my pie dishes were amazing! They were not only beautiful to serve, but the crust turned out perfectly, as usual: golden and flaky! And we all know that the crust is the best part of any pie, regardless of whether it's sweet or savory. Mmmm...carbs. =)


Here is my modified recipe:
  • 1 pound skinless, boneless chicken breast halves - cubed
  • 1 cup sliced carrots
  • 1 cup frozen green peas
  • 1/2 cup sliced celery
  • 1/3 cup butter
  • 1 cup chopped onion
  • 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
  • 2 ¼ cups chicken broth
  • 1 ¼ cup milk
  • Crust recipe
  1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F
  2. In a saucepan, combine carrots, peas, and celery. Add chicken stock to cover and boil for 10 minutes. Add chicken and boil for another 5 minutes, or until the chicken turns white. Remove from heat, drain and set aside.
  3. In the saucepan over medium heat, cook onions in butter until soft and translucent. Stir in flour, pepper, and garlic salt. Slowly stir in chicken broth and milk. Simmer over medium-low heat until thick. Remove from heat and set aside.
  4. Brush egg white on bottom crust.
  5. Place the chicken mixture in bottom pie crust. Pour hot liquid mixture over. Cover with top crust, seal edges, and cut away excess dough. Make several small slits in the top to allow steam to escape.
  6. Bake in the preheated oven for 30 to 35 minutes, or until pastry is golden brown and filling is bubbly. Cool for 10 minutes before serving.





5 comments:

  1. Beautiful pot pies! One of my FAV dishes. I usually use Barefoot's recipe, which calls for roasted chicken (may help eliminate the dryness) and cream instead of milk. I think I will give milk a try to cut the fat. I also use Emily Henry bowls - I make a few extra pies, freeze them - then I can reheat whenever I want directly from the freezer. The bowls are an amazing product!

    ReplyDelete
  2. your crust tops would be even more golden brown and delicious if you brush it with egg wash :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I might need to get me some of these dishes.. I can only see the possibilities!!

    Chicken Pot Pie
    Berry Crumbles
    Pies
    French Toast Bakes
    Breakfast Casseroles
    Etc
    Etc

    All cute and individual servings.. love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is soooo similar to my recipe... have you been peeking in my recipe book?

    :)
    ButterYum

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wowww i just past by and check out your pg!!! Oh my YOu are Aaaaaaamazing THANK yoU so much for have this blog <3 xoxoxooxoo

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails