Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Cheddar Chive Scones

Remember how I raved about Salty's on Alki when I made their Crab, Spinach, and Artichoke Mac & Cheese? Well, if you had a chance to read through their recipe list, then you know that it's hard to stop at just one dish! So much deliciousness to choose from, so little time!


As soon as I saw these scones featured, I knew I had to give them a try. Trust me, they're the best thing to happen to your Dinner Table since sliced bread! (Disclaimer: I don't really get this saying because I can think of a lot of other things better than sliced bread. lol. Like cupcakes. And mango curry. And hazelnut lattes. The list goes on!)


Start by combining the dry ingredients. There's lots of fantastic flavors that go into this scone, like garlic, onion, and chives!


Grate some fresh cheddar cheese and add it to the dry ingredients. I used a really sharp white cheddar, which turned out to be incredibly delicious and flavorful!


Toss the dry ingredients so that it's well combined.



Next, you'll need softened cream cheese and heavy cream.


Mix them together really well... but ok, here's where I went wrong with this step: I used a hand held whisk and I didn't quite soften the cream cheese well enough. What ended up happening was exactly what you see in this picture: all the still-slightly-hard cream cheese got stuck in my whisk without combining with the heavy cream! Lesson learned. I'd suggest using an electric mixer for this step, one that can break up the cream cheese quickly without sticking too much to the beater blades. And make sure to really soften the cheese! hehe. You might even want to cut it up into cubes.


If you did it right the first time, here's what you should get: well incorporated cream cheese. You'll still probably have a few little chunks of cream cheese here and there, but it'll be fine.


Now incorporate the dry ingredients. I was surprised at how well it came together! You don't need anything electric at this point, just a wooden spoon will do. Fold in the dry ingredients until you get little clumps of dough.


Then I used my hands to push the dough together. It was super soft and easy to do.


I ended up with some giant scones!


Half way through the baking, I took them out and sprinkled more cheese on top, along with dried chives. The recipe called for salt and pepper, which you can also do. Then I popped them back into the oven to brown. Mine took way longer to bake than what the recipe called for. I think it's because of how large I made them. hehe.


Here they are, right out of the oven! Ok, if you can look past the lumpiness and give these a try, I'm sure you'll agree with me that they're fantastic! =)


They were sooo soft and fluffy on the inside, and had an incredible flavor! You can toss out those old dinner rolls and biscuits. Make these for your next dinner party as the bread component, or have them for brunch! They'll be gone before you know it!

I was really surprised at how easy it was to make these. I always thought that scones were "high maintenance." Like, lots of kneading and chilling and such. Maybe some are. I haven't made enough to know. But all I know is that these took only about 15 minutes to assemble before going into the oven! And for all the praise I got at dinner, I almost felt guilty because I secretly knew that hardly any effort went into making them! =)


Click HERE for the recipe.

5 comments:

  1. I loved Salty's! And Alki.... memories... these look fantastic! (And I LOVE your lighting - albeit homemade - it's more light than I have)! I also like how quickly biscuits & scones can be put together - I think people should bake more of them, myself included. The spices and flavors in these scones sound wonderful... especially the cheese!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just tried these last night and they were delicious! I didn't have the chives, so I used a little dill and parsley. Very impressive for so little work!! Oh, and instead of sprinkling the cheese on some of them I sprinkled garlic salt. Both versions were very yummy. Thanks!!! Shannon

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lumpy is good because lumpy means homemade... and that means give me one!

    :)
    ButterYum

    ReplyDelete
  4. these look amazing im posting mine tommrow

    ReplyDelete
  5. you are soooo talented!!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails