Monday, December 14, 2009

Gingerbread Cupcakes


This is the December cupcake entry for the Martha Stewart Cupcake Club! The purpose of this club is to bake through Martha's entire book of cupcake recipes. Every month, a few dozen bloggers bake the same cupcake and blog about it. This is my fourth month doing so, and it's been sooo incredibly fun! I've made quite a few blogger friends along the way!

I'm waaaay too excited about these cupcakes to ramble on (like I always do at the beginning of blog entries), so I'm just going to dive right in! =)


(1) The Gingerbread Cupcakes



Mix together the dry ingredients, including a variety of warm, fragrant spices like ginger, cinnamon, nutmeg, and cloves. Smells delicious already!


In another bowl, cream butter and sugar until fluffy.


Add the molasses. Kinda crazy looking!


Then the eggs and vanilla.


Gradually add in the flour, mix until combined.


Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes.


Set aside to cool while you make the decorations!


(2) The Gingerbread Cookies





If you missed the previous entry that I did on these, be sure to check it out! I actually made both the cookies and the cupcakes on the same day, then decorated! It took me literally the entire day, from 9am until 6:30pm. But it was the best baking day ever! My entire house smelled like Christmas and I was able to spend some quality time with a friend that I don't get to see very often! I LOVED these cookies. They were SO delicious and stayed fresh really well!

I split the cookies and the cupcakes up into two different posts because it would've been a super long entry if I did both together. Plus, the cookies were so pretty and delicious that I thought they deserved their own little spotlight. hehe.


(3) The Cupcake Wrappers


As you guys all know, I'm the queen of cupcake wrappers! In fact, these cupcakes deserved something spectacular because it was for Christmas! (Please see this previous Cupcake Wrapper entry for details on how to make them.)


I found a cute snowflake cut-out and some pretty snowflake stickers with rhinestones!

I didn't want to use the traditional red and green colors, so I opted for two different shades of blue. They complimented each other really well and turned out great. For some of the wrapper edges, I used regular craft scissors, and for others, I used the snowflake cut-out. Super cute!


They looked great when I fitted them onto the cupcakes! Now I'm ready to frost and decorate!


(3) The Cinnamon Swiss Meringue Frosting



I didn't want to use the frosting suggested in the book- I rarely do. It looked like a regular American style buttercream, which I hate. yuck! Way too sweet. So I decided to make my own SMB, one that was cinnamon flavored, to compliment the cupcake. SMB definitely takes more time to make, but it's totally worth it! I get emails from readers all the time, saying how I've converted them from being a cupcake hater to a cupcake lover with my SMB recipes! It's light and fluffy and will totally rock your world!


The buttercream is a bit involved. Please see this prior entry for step by step instructions on how to make it, if it's your first time doing so.


Once the buttercream is ready to go, add 1/2 tsp vanilla extract, 1/4 tsp cinnamon, and 1/8 tsp nutmeg. Blend well for about 30 seconds. Reeeeeeeally delicious frosting that you'll want to eat straight out of the bowl!


(4) Decorate, Decorate, Decorate!



Saying that these cupcakes were SO incredibly delicious would be an understatement. If you like gingerbread, you'll looooove these! I think the frosting really made these cupcakes spectacular! It was light, subtly cinnamony, and really brought out the flavor of the gingerbread in the cookie and cupcake. These are a definite must-have at Christmas dinner!


Click HERE for the recipes seen in this blog entry.

30 comments:

  1. Judy - they look great as always. I need to try the SMB because the frosting recipe I used (was in a hurry) did not work. It was the same one I used for the cookies which tasted fine, but was way too thin for my preference. I love the fluffy whipped look of SMB. Next time! Love the wrapper ideas too -- if only I had the time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Judy, compliments for everything! Looks fabulous!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Judy, these look absolutely amazing! I love the wrappers and the cookies! Looks like they were very fun for you and your friend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. May I just say that the cupcake wrapper idea is quite marvelous! And I am quite jealous of the snowflake maker :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'd say you are SMB obsessed! But hey, that's great! It's my favourite way to make frosting, so very versatile with most flavourings and light, etc etc...i luv it. Only downer is, my infant has an egg allergy to the basic forms of the stuff (he can have it in baked goods as the protiens change but I learned the hard way, giving him a cupcake with SMB! Oops! mommy-fail!)

    Cinnamon SMB would be very nice for any seasonal muffin/cupcake. Nice choice! And do i even need to comment on yet another lovely, festive episode of "Cake Wrappin' With Judy"?!?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Adorable, and I absolutely love the cupcake wrappers. You're so artistic Judy!

    :)
    ButterYum

    ReplyDelete
  7. So beautiful! I can't do frosting to save my soul, what tip do you use to make them look so luxurious??
    The cookies on top are just perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gorgeous cupcakes as usual Judy! They look wonderful with the cookies on top. I didn't get around to the cutouts but thought the cupcakes were great! I love the wrappers you make - they just make the cupcakes that much more special. I'm going to give them a shot after the holidays when life slows down.

    ReplyDelete
  9. these are so beautiful!ps after christmas theres a package on its way to you sorry its a little late

    ReplyDelete
  10. Again, you did an awesome job, Judy! They are beautiful and ooze deliciousness! I love the wrappers and your smbc sound fabulous! Love the photos, too!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful wrappers and the cupcakes look gorgeous. Bet they taste great!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow - so many beautiful things I don't know where to start! Then I'll just say I love it all - absolute perfection in every way.

    ReplyDelete
  13. These look amazing! so festive for the season!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for showing how you made the wrappers. They are gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  15. http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_58YcNmW_KvQ/SptQLIctKDI/AAAAAAAACbc/ELHT8sqoEdI/s1600-h/salted+-+online-3.jpg

    I use this icing tip! It's fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh, I just knew you would come up with the best of the best! These are fabulous and so unique and creative...Martha has nothing on you, that's for sure. Just gorgeous, all of it! Such fun to visit over here!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your cupcakes, as usual, are drop dead gorgeous. Seriously, you could put Martha out of business.

    ReplyDelete
  18. You did an amazing job! Can't belive you made your own cupcake wrappers. They are little works of art! You have a great talent. Thanks so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  19. these are utterly adorable. I want one, I want one now!

    ReplyDelete
  20. everything looks so great!! you have inspired me to try to make my own cupcake wrappers!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wow I love love love the way that yours turned out. The cookie cut outs are amazing and I am so jealous of your piping!

    ReplyDelete
  22. What a wonderful flavor! I got this book recently and must try this one soon. As usual, I love your wrappers and really covet that snowflake cutter. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Judy, Judy, Judy.... please open a cupcake shop. A friend told me of one on Capitol Hill that is buzzing with activity. I'll come bake for you! These are absolute art.... exquisite. I see big things in your future... in particular: cupcakes!

    ReplyDelete
  24. These are the best looking gingerbread cupcakes ever! Like ever!

    Thanks for baking along with us this month! You are so cool.

    ReplyDelete
  25. The frosting sounds delicious!!! I will need to try that!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I love your custom cupcake wrappers. My neighbor is going to come over this week to teach me to make cupcakes. I'm so excited. I think I will try to make some custom wrappers before she comes! Wish me luck!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails